Direct Tel: +44 (0) 20 3053 3659
Mobile Tel: +65 (0) 9891 4547
Kay is an experienced commercial lawyer whose main focus is on the day-to-day legal needs of early to mid-stage startups, mainly in the technology and media sector.
Prior to joining Theobald Associates as an Associate in 2013, Kay held a variety of entrepreneurial, in-house and private practice roles, affording her expert insight into both the adviser and client perspective.
Following her training and an initial period of practice within an established City firm of solicitors, Kay went on to specialise in highly complex international aviation finance transactions and, at the same time, co-founded a successful arts and business networking platform. She then later took time out to pursue her passion for creativity as Director of Arts for the British Council in Singapore before returning to the law as In-house Legal Counsel and Programme Director at a leading incubator, assisting and mentoring early stage startups in the B2B sector.
Alongside undertaking traditional advisory work, Kay’s practice involves acting as in-house general counsel to her technology and media-based clients, enabling her to bring benefit from her prior experience and build closer and more effective working relationships.
Kay works with Theobald Associates on a full-time basis throughout the year, dividing her time between both London and Singapore and speaks both Spanish and Japanese.
Kay is a regular speaker at seminars and training sessions to those involved in the startup communities of both London and Singapore.
Areas of Expertise
- General commercial contracts, including agency, distribution, supply and logistics
- Technology, Media and Entertainment
- Due diligence
- Start-up formation and structuring
- HR and Employment support
- 2013 to date – Theobald Associates, Associate Solicitor (Commercial)
- 2012 to 2013 – Collider, In-house Legal Counsel & Programme Director
- 2010 to 2012 – British Council (Singapore), Director of Arts
- 2009 to 2010 – BOC Aviation, Legal Counsel
- 2007 to 2008 – Field Fisher Waterhouse LLP, Associate Solicitor (Aviation)
- 2006 to 2010 – Mesh Minds, Co-Founder
- 2006 to 2007 – Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP, Solicitor (Commercial Litigation)
- 2004 to 2006 – Barlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP, Trainee Solicitor
- 2002 – Bristol University, Euro LLB (Hons)
- 2004 – Bristol Institute of Legal Practice, Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Advising a mid-stage children’s entertainment platform on various content acquisition and platform distribution deals with major media and technology sector entities.
- Advising an early-stage geo-location data analytics platform on their seed and Series A equity fundraising.
- Advising an early-stage Internet of Things agency on their corporate structure, shareholders’ agreement and partnership deals with large household industrial and consumer brands.