Nicholas Tall – Special Counsel
Nicholas is a highly experienced commercial lawyer with particular expertise in rights acquisition and exploitation, IT agreements and general commercial contracts such as agency, distribution and supply contracts. He regularly advises on gambling law issues.
Prior to joining Theobald Associates as Special Counsel, Nicolas held partnership at Speechly Bircham LLP. In addition, Nicholas has previous in-house experience at Gullane Entertainment and the publisher De Agostini. Further to such, Nicholas spends part of his time with Theobald Associates providing outsourced in-house support to a number of long-standing client entities, assisting with their day-to-day legal needs and specific transactional support
Nicholas is a regular contributor to a number of trade journals and frequently speaks at conferences.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Media and Entertainment
- IP (including sponsorship and other forms of exploitation)
- General commercial contracts, including agency, distribution, supply and logistics
- Gambling/prize competitions/free prize draws
- Due diligence
- Consumer law
Academic and Professional Background
- 2014 to date – Special Counsel, Theobald Associates
- 2006 to 2012 – Speechly Bircham, Partner
- 2003 to 2006 – Penningtons, Associate
- 2002 to 2003 – De Agostini UK Limited, Sole In-house Counsel
- 2001 to 2002 – Gullane Entertainment, In-house Counsel
- 1999 to 2001 – Field Fisher Waterhouse, Solicitor
- 1997 to 1999 – Field Fisher Waterhouse, Trainee Solicitor
- 1996 – University of Oxford, BA (Hons)
- The following are representative transactions of Nicholas’ general areas of practice:
- Advising formerly AIM-listed rights owning company on all aspects of various television productions (including rights acquisition, contributors and co-production arrangements), broadcast arrangements, brand management and ancillary rights exploitation programmes, including international licensing and publishing (including e-books) programmes, together with international trade mark filing strategy.
- Advising on a number of rights acquisition transactions, including full due diligence on complex underlying rights position and exploitation arrangements.
- Advising international publishing company on variety of publishing arrangements, together with copyright and licensing advice for covermounts, including liaising with foreign lawyers.
- Advising Apple application developer in respect of co-development and co-publishing arrangements, including with major publishers and US rights owners.
- Advising theatre company in respect of interpolated rights pertaining to well known songwriter
- Advising application service provider in respect of agreement with major high street bank.
- Advising top 3 high street bank in respect of data centre agreements and off-site storage capacity agreements.
- Advising FTSE 250 company on complex sale of assets, transitional service arrangements and corporate facilities management arrangements.
- Advising data supplier for NHS in respect of participation arrangements for international project and ongoing project advice.
- Advising on launch of several operations as to Gambling Act regulatory requirements, marketing issues and drafting terms and conditions.